Teacher Education Refresh Programme
The University of Auckland, Faculty of Education and Social Work is one of the providers of The Teacher Education Refresh Programme for the Education Council New Zealand.
This course is aimed at primary and secondary teachers who:
- have graduated from an Initial Teacher Education programme but have not achieved a full practicing certificate within a six year period.
- Or have trained overseas.
- Or are returning to the workforce after a lengthy period.
Before enrolling, please confirm with the Education Council that you are required to complete a TER course.
First face-to-face component at Kohia
(daily 9.00am - 4.30pm)
|Practicum in schools||
Second face-to-face component at Kohia
(daily 9.00am - 4.30pm)
|Aplications open||Application status|
|TER1||23 January - 5 May||23 January - 26 January||6 March-31 March||24 April - 28 April||25 July 2016||Closed|
|TER2||19 April - 28 July||19 April - 22 April||22 May - 16 June||17 July - 20 July||23 January 2017||Closed|
|TER3||10 July - 20 October||10 July - 13 July||14 August - 8 September||9 October - 12 October||1 May 2017||Closing on 16 June 2017|
|TER4*||2 October - 14 December||2 October - 5 October||23 October - 17 November||4 December - 7 December||24 July 2017||Closing on 15 September 2017|
* TER4 is restricted to:
- all primary teachers
- secondary teachers who are in permanent or long term relieving positions
About the Programme
Early enrolment is strongly advised as spaces are limited and each TER student must be police vetted. This process can take up to 6 weeks.
The TER programme will be delivered through a combination of:
- Online modules
- Face-to-face days of workshops at Kohia Centre, Epsom Campus in Auckland
- A 20 day practicum organised by the Faculty of Education and Social Work (this practicum component can be completed at the school where the participant is already employed)
There are 4 modules:
- The New Zealand Curriculum
- Teaching as Inquiry
- Catering for Diverse learners
Click here to view the course outline and modules:
The cost for each participant is $4000 GST inclusive. Full payment must be made before the course starts. Once participants have begun the course, no refunds will be issued. Please note that fees are not eligible for Studilink funding as this is a non-credit course.
Participants will need to:
- Attend all face-to-face sessions at Kohia Centre, Epsom, Auckland.
- Bring a laptop for the face-to-face sessions to access the faculty wireless network connection (iPads, tablets or any other portable devices are not suitable for the online requirements of this programme)
- Complete a 20 day continuous practicum
- Have own transport to practicum schools
Outcomes for participants
The Teacher Education Refresh Programme is a pass / fail programme.
If successful, participants will be presented with a certificate of completion. Course completion will require the participant to pass each assignment and to complete the practicum in accordance with the Graduating Teacher Standards
Questions: Please follow the link below to the Education Council website
Teacher Education Refresh Programme Application forms
Please fill in and return all of the forms to us at email@example.com or post them to Kohia Centre, TER Programme at Private Bag 99946 Newmarket 1149 Auckland, New Zealand. Please include as well a copy of your teaching qualification and your CV.
Following application, TER students will be required for a short interview before entering the programme. The interview is face-to-face at Kohia or by Skype for those outside of Auckland. At the interview applicants will be:
- Required to provide proof of identity
- Interviewed as part of the Vulnerable Children's Act requirements
- Required to give written consent for police vetting